How to Adopt
Adopting a pet from Berkshire Humane Society is as easy as 1-2-3-4-5!
| 1. Fill out an application: Fill out a two-sided adoption application which will help our adoption counselors assess whether the chosen pet is the right one for you. They will discuss pet care and what it will be like to live with your new pet. Handouts may be given for more detailed instructions. We require proof of home ownership, or a landlord’s OK before approving your application. Applicants must be 21 years old or older with a valid photo ID. Download an adoption application for Dog, Cat or Small Animal (requires Adobe Reader).
2. Choose your new pet: If you see a pet you like, come into the shelter and spend some time with him or her. This is an integral part of the adoption process since it is important to find the right pet for your lifestyle.
3. Wait for your pet to be spayed/neutered: Once the application is approved, an appointment will be made with a local vet to have your pet spayed or neutered. This may take 1 to 5 days depending on the schedule of the vets.
4. Pick up your new pet: The day after your new pet is spayed/neutered, you may pick up your new family member. The adoption counselor will go over any last minute instructions for you, give you a sample of the food they have been eating and have you sign the adoption contract.
5. Go home and enjoy the rest of your new pet’s life! Remember that we are always here to answer any questions you might have about your new pet. With many years of experience, our staff is well qualified to help you solve any problems that might occur during the life of your pet.
Adoption Fees – Do not include training equipment or accessories.
|Kitten: $150 (under 6 months)
Adult Cat: $100
Senior Cat: $50 (7+ years old)
Guinea Pig: $25
|Puppy: $330* (under 4 months)
Puppy: $250* (4-6 months)
Adult Dog: $200*
Senior Dog: $50*
*Price may increase with cost of training equipment.
Adoption Fee Includes the Following:
- ID Microchip
- Spay or neuter surgery
- 1st FVRCP vaccine for cats, 1st DHLPP vaccine for dogs
- Rabies vaccine for animals over 3 months of age
- FLV/FIV test for cats, bordatella vaccine (kennel cough), heartworm & tick-born disease tests for dogs
- 1st worming
- Flea treatments including the use of Advantage monthly preventative
- Ear cleaning, bathing and other necessary grooming
- Nail trimming
- Free consultation with Family Dog School on any behavior issues.
- Discounted obedience Level 1 class for dogs at Family Dog School.
- 1st vet health exam free at a local facility within 14 days of adoption
- Quality pet food sample
- One time discount at local pet supply stores
If you are interested in bringing home more than one pet (dog or cat), you can take advantage of the special adoption fees under our “Buddy Program”. You will pay the normal adoption fee for one of the animals, and half off the second pet’s adoption fee. This special savings can mean all the happiness to any bonded pair of animals!
If you are adopting one of senior animals (cats & dogs seven years and older), we will reduce your adoption fee to only $50.