How to Adopt
Adopting a pet from Berkshire Humane Society is as easy as 1-2-3-4-5!
1. Fill out an application: Fill out a two-sided adoption application which will help our adoption counselors assess whether the chosen pet is the right one for you. They will discuss pet care and what it will be like to live with your new pet. Handouts may be given for more detailed instructions. We require proof of home ownership, or a landlord’s OK before approving your application. Applicants must be 21 years old or older with a valid photo ID. Download an adoption application for Dog, Cat or Small Animal (requires Adobe Reader).
2. Choose your new pet: If you see a pet you like, come into the shelter and spend some time with him or her. This is an integral part of the adoption process since it is important to find the right pet for your lifestyle.
3. Wait for your pet to be spayed/neutered: Once the application is approved, an appointment will be made with a local vet to have your pet spayed or neutered. This may take 1 to 5 days depending on the schedule of the vets.
4. Pick up your new pet: The day after your new pet is spayed/neutered, you may pick up your new family member. The adoption counselor will go over any last minute instructions for you, give you a sample of the food they have been eating and have you sign the adoption contract.
5. Go home and enjoy the rest of your new pet’s life! Remember that we are always here to answer any questions you might have about your new pet. With many years of experience, our staff is well qualified to help you solve any problems that might occur during the life of your pet.
Your adoption fee ($250 for puppies under 6 months, $150 for dogs, $125 for cats) includes the following:
- ID Microchip
- Spay or neuter surgery
- 1st FVRCP vaccine for cats, 1st DHLPP vaccine for dogs
- Rabies vaccine for animals over 3 months of age
- FLV/FIV test for cats, bordatella vaccine (kennel cough) and heartworm test for dogs
- 1st worming
- Flea treatments including the use of Advantage monthly preventative
- Ear cleaning, bathing and other necessary grooming
- Nail trimming
- Collar & ID tag ( for dogs) , cat carrier or dog leash. Safety collars for cats are available to purchase.
- Discounted obedience class for dogs
- 1st vet health exam free at a local facility within 14 days of adoption
- Quality pet food sample
- One time discount at local pet supply stores
- 1 year free BHS membership ($35 value)
For dogs and cats that are already spayed or neutered when surrendered, the adoption fee is only $100.
Ferrets and rabbits can be adopted at BHS for a $70 adoption fee. These animals will go home spayed or neutered. Adoption Fee for Guinea Pigs and birds is only $25.
Feline Buddy Program
If you are interested in bringing home more than one cat, you can take advantage of the special adoption fees under our “Feline Buddy Program”. The adoption fee for two cats spayed/neutered by BHS is only $200 (you save $50). The adoption fee for two cats that were already spayed/neutered is only $150 (again, you save $50).
Seniors for Seniors
If you are a Senior and would be interested in adopting one of senior animals (cats six and older, dogs seven and older), we will reduce your adoption fees. Under the Seniors for Seniors program, the following rates apply:
- Cats: $50.00
- Dogs arriving already spayed/neutered: $50.00
- Dogs spayed/neutered by BHS: $75.00
Adoption fees on all other animals vary. Ask the adoption counselors if you are interested.